The Nutrition Society (“we”, “us”, “our”) are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Act 1998 (the “Act”), the data controller is the Nutrition Society of Unit 10, Cambridge Court, 210 Shepherds Bush Road, London, W6 7NJ.
Information we collect from you
We will collect and process the following data about you:
- Information you give us: this is information about you that you give us by filling in forms on the Website or by corresponding with us by phone, e-mail or otherwise. It includes information you provide in association with your membership of the Nutrition Society (if a member), when you use the Website and when you report a problem with the Website. The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and phone number.
- Information we collect about you: with regard to each of your visits to our site we may automatically collect the following information:
- membership and event participation information, which may include booking and payment information, information as to your attendance and use of materials and other information which it would be reasonably necessary for a provider of membership, events, and training services to collect about members, course participants and non-members who attend our events;
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and/or
- information about your visit to the Website, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from our site (including date and time), page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page.
- Information we receive from other sources: this is information we receive about you if you use any of the other websites we operate or the other services we provide.
Uses made of the information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
- Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to administer your membership and enable us to communicate news and society information to you
- to allow you to register to attend conferences and workshops provided by us and/or in association with others;
- to carry out our other obligations arising from any contracts entered into between you and us and to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to notify you about changes to our services;
- to provide information to you specifically in relation to any Sections (such as our Scottish, Irish or Student Sections) that you join or particular areas that you inform us are of interest to you;
- to provide information to you and to seek your opinion in relation to our activities and, with your approval, for a third party to contact you on our behalf in for these purposes;
- to enable you to receive member discounts, promotions or offers from third parties, including by confirming to that third party that you are a member where this is a condition for the discount, promotion or offer; and/or
- to ensure that content from our site is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer your membership and to enable you to participate in events/courses provided by us and/or third parties;
- to administer our site and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our site to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- to allow you to participate in interactive features of our service, when you choose to do so; and/or
- as part of our efforts to keep our site safe and secure.
- Information we receive from other sources. We will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above (depending on the types of information we receive).
Disclosure of your information
We may disclose your personal information to Nutrition Society Enterprises Limited in connection with the above activities, on the basis outlined above and subject to the same permissions and restrictions as are applicable to our own use of that information.
We will disclose your personal information to third parties:
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. We cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our site; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features as required by law in order to try to prevent unauthorised access.
You have the right to ask us not to process your personal data for marketing purposes. We will usually inform you (before collecting your data) if we intend to use your data for such purposes or if we intend to disclose your information to any third party for such purposes. You can exercise your right to prevent such processing by checking the relevant boxes on the forms we use to collect your data. You can also exercise the right at any time by contacting us via email. Please let us know if you feel that you are still receiving communications for which you have opted-out.
Our site may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
Access to information
The Act gives you the right to access information held about you. Your right of access can be exercised in accordance with the Act. Any access request will be subject to a fee of £10 to meet our costs in providing you with details of the information we hold about you.