British Science Association Media Fellowship
The British Science Association Media Fellowship provides a unique opportunity for practising scientists, clinicians and engineers to spend two to six weeks working at the heart of a media outlet such as the Guardian, BBC Breakfast or The Londonist.
Selected Fellows will be mentored by professional journalists with the aim to give them, and their colleagues via dissemination post-placement; the confidence and willingness to engage with the media; tackle issues of mistrust and misrepresentation and to give journalists access to new scientific expertise.
After the media placement, Fellows will attend the British Science Festival in September, which provides an opportunity to gain valuable experience working alongside a range of media organisations from all over the UK in the British Science Association dedicated Press Centre. The Festival also offers opportunities to learn from a wide range of public engagement activities and network with academics, journalists and science communicators. The selected Fellow will also receive a training day pre-placement and impact day post-placement to support their Fellowship.
The Nutrition Society will support one member, who is chosen by the British Science Association, to undertake the Fellowship.
The scheme reflects the British Science Association's commitment to increasing the accessibility of the sciences and providing opportunities for discussion and debate.
The Nutrition Society is now accepting applications for the 2018 Media Fellowship. Apply online
Deadline for applications: 5pm (GMT) on 22 March 2018
To be eligible to apply for the Media Fellowship scheme you must fulfil the following criteria:
- are a current member of The Nutrition Society
- are a practising scientist, social scientist, clinician or engineer and have a minimum of two years’ experience in your field following your highest degree. PhD students are eligible although we do not recommend it due to the heavy workload
- are employed, and based, part or full time in the UK
- work at any level in an academic or research institution, industry, civil service or any other similar organisation in the UK
- have your employer's/funder's consent to be released on full pay for the period of the Fellowships. Annual leave may be used for part of the placement.
- agree to all the terms and conditions of the fellowship, including mandatory attendance to the training/leadership days and the financial support provided.
Read a more comprehensive guide to desirables attributes to consider when applying.
Unfortunately, we are not able to offer Media Fellowships to freelancers, those who work in PR or communications, or those who want to change career full time into science communication.
Please read the following documents before applying:
- All applicants must provide a letter of support when applying. Please view the letter of support example.
- All applicants must read and acknowledge the terms and conditions, including the financial support summary, contained within, for the Fellowship. The terms and conditions include dates when you will need to be available during the Fellowship and the deadline for your report after the Fellowship has taken place. Please read these carefully before applying.
Complete and submit the online application form by 5pm (GMT) on 22 March 2018.
Please contact the Nutrition Society Membership team if you have any queries.