Nutrition: Science and Health All Party Parliamentary Group (APPG)
The Nutrition Society invites interested MPs and members of the House of Lords to become founding members of a new All Party Parliamentary Group for Nutrition: Science and Health. Visit the website to find out more and register interest
For the past 80 years, the Society has been at the fore front of advancing the scientific study of nutrition, and its application to the maintenance of human and animal health, and believes it is now the optimum moment to launch an APPG.
The APPG on Nutrition: Science and Health aims to:
- raise parliamentary awareness and stimulate informed debate around regional, national and global nutrition issues,
- champion nutrition science to support evidence-based policy making on nutrition and health challenges, and
- deliver a programme of events encompassing issues that scope disease prevention, healthy ageing, food security, sustainable diets, and animal nutrition.
The APPG will achieve this through an engaging programme that will help ensure policymakers are aware of the importance of nutrition in both human, animal and planetary health, and to ensure the sector’s voice is heard in decisions that affect it. A topic of such large scale with public interest and industrial importance as nutritional science needs significant representation in parliament.
The scope of the APPG meetings include, but are not limited to:
- The human health benefits of a sustainable diet
- Enabling tomorrow’s doctors: Nutrition in medical education
- Emerging nutrition deficiencies in the UK
- Delivering global change in nutrition and health
- Transforming health outcomes (in relation to obesity, cardiovascular disease, diabetes) via National Food Policy
- Sport and performance nutrition – beyond the hype
- Nutrition and health claims
The Society will host the APPG’s secretariat in its offices, Boyd Orr House, in London. One of the Founding Officers will be asked to Chair the Group. The Society will cover all the costs and expenses of the APPG, thereby ensuring its impartiality from any external sponsorship.
To register your interest with supporting the formation of the APPG, please contact the Society.
Please note: the Society will be welcoming the involvement of associate member organisations once the APPG is established.
The Nutrition Society's history of parliamentary activity
The Society hosts several events alongside the All-Party Parliamentary and Scientific Committee for MP’s and members of Parliament to attend (listed below), and is involved in the support and participation of STEM for Britain, Voice of the Future and Parliamentary Links Day; annual events designed to connect young scientists with parliamentarians and policymakers. Members are invited to participate within these events.
Topic: Sources, health benefits and global challenges of protein
Event date: 26 October 2020
Topic: Nutrition Challenges for a growing and ageing population
Event date: 25 March 2019
Venue: Palace of Westminster
Find out more about the Society’s Parliamentary Activity
If you have any questions, please contact the Society.