The current Student Section consists of Student Section Members, led by the Student Section Chair.
Student Section Chair
The role of the Student Section Chair is to provide feedback to the Nutrition Society Advisory Council on issues relevant and important to the student population which can influence decisions made by the Trustees. The Student Section Chair is an elected role, voted for by students and the Chair serves for a period of two years, offering the post holder a fantastic opportunity to shape the direction of the Society and enhance the student member experience, in collaboration with the Student Section. It also gives an invaluable insight into the work of the Society and its governance and is a valuable addition to any CV.
The Student Section Chair is supported by a Student Section. In the past, the Student Section was small, but it has gradually expanded to gain closer links with universities teaching nutritional science at BSc, MSc or PhD level. This includes better links with universities and courses where nutrition and dietetics is an element of a wider course.
Student Section members can offer a direct link with their peer groups and, working alongside the Student Section Chair, help promote the benefits of Nutrition Society membership to students - including conference grants, summer studentships, and discounts for textbooks, conferences and training.
Being a member of the Student Section widens your professional network, plus you can strengthen your transferrable skills by the specifics of the role within the section, along with networking and career development sessions during other Society events.
The Student Section was originally set up over 8 years ago and was relaunched in 2015 after an extended period of inactivity. The aim of the section is to further develop links with the student members of the Nutrition Society (NS), and for the Student Section Chair to act as the voice for students and to represent student member interests on the Nutrition Society’s Advisory Council.
The section will engage with non-members with a view to them becoming members, promoting member benefits and support member interests and careers and to fulfil the needs and expectations of being part of one of the largest Societies of its kind in the world.
The Section’s primary objectives are to:
- Help develop and run the Nutrition Futures Conference. The aim is for Nutrition Futures to be the leading careers based conference for students and graduates of Nutrition Science.
- Help develop and facilitate a network of student members via the Student Ambassadors and university nutrition societies, and to liaise with them to recruit new members and enhance the student member offering.
- Act as the student voice for the Society.
- To provide representation on the Nutrition Society Advisory Council via the Chair of the Student Section, promoting the needs of students.
- Provide content for the student section pages of the website and further develop lines of communication.
Being a member of the Student Section widen your professional network, plus you can strengthen your transferrable skills by the various roles within the Section.