The Irish Section of the Nutrition Society "exists to arrange research meetings easily accessible to Irish members and to provide a forum for nutrition education and research in Ireland".
Dr. Breige McNulty
UCD Institute of Food and Health
University College Dublin
Belfield, Dublin 4
Two conferences are ran in Ireland on an annual basis. The 25th Postgraduate Conference was held on 11 - 12 February in Cork. This conference is organised by research students who form the organising committee from the host institution, which alternates throughout Ireland each year. The organising committee for 2016 was formed of students from the University College Cork.
The second conference is the annual larger conference. For 2016 this was be the Nutrition Society's Annual Summer Conference titled 'New Technology for Nutrition Research and Practice' and will be held on 11 - 14 July at University College Dublin. The organising committee will consist of Professor Lorraine Brennan and Dr Breige McNulty. Further details about the conference will be announced soon here.
The Nutrition Society (Irish Section) travel bursary
These travel bursaries provide financial support to allow members of the Irish Section to present at a scientific conference or attend a scientific workshop or training event. It is expected that all those applying would normally be speaking/presenting at the event. To ensure fairness the Nutrition Society (Irish Section) has adopted the NS guidelines for the award of Travel Grants which places a limit of £350 (€400) per member to attend an overseas meeting within a 3-year period and £125 (€150) per member to attend a meeting within the UK/Ireland within a 3-year period. Please note that all recipients are expected to provide a short report within 30 days of return from the meeting and reports of general interest may be published in the Gazette, website or student newsletter. Applications will be considered for funding in February, June, November of each year with a rolling closing date for receipt of 31 January, 31 May, 31 October for respective submissions.
The Irish Section includes over 300 Nutrition Society members and is chaired by Professor Jayne Woodside.
Irish Section Honorary Officers:
- Dr Breige McNulty, University College Dublin (UCD), Secretary
- Dr Pamela Magee, University of Ulster (UUC), Treasurer
Irish Section Committee:
- Dr Janette Walton, University College Cork (UCC), Membership Secretary
- Aoife Hayes, University College Cork (UCC), Student representative
- Yvonne Lenighan, University College Dublin (UCD), Student representative
Latest Twitter feed
- Eggs:good or bad? Theme Leader, Prof. Bruce Griffin investigates eggs in a new article published in PNS #future4meat https://t.co/kWf7miGwSE
- New article published in PHN looks at the relationship between food insecurity & frailty in the elderly https://t.co/ZrdMrnTMwp
- RT @amgallagher_UU: Great to be reminded of what was a great talk at the NS Winter meeting by Prof Westerterp-Plantenga https://t.co/PSk9T6…
- Programme now available for Bioinformatic workshop in June - see agenda & secure your place here https://t.co/9oY05D1pOp @emblebi
- New paper on sleep, circadian rhythms & body weight in PNS by Prof Westerterp-Plantenga from #rolesofsleep2015 conf https://t.co/rIGboj2lAJ