Save the Children (STC) is an internationally active, non-governmental organisation that promotes children’s rights, provides relief and helps support children in developing countries. It promotes policy changes in order to ensure the rights of the child, especially in regards to the enforcement of the UN Declaration of the Rights of the Child. Along with its alliance members, it works in 120 countries where it coordinates emergency relief efforts, with the aim of protecting children from war and violence.
Since April 2012 the Nutrition Society and STC have been exploring areas of mutual development and closer cooperation. With permission from the Trustees, the Society endorsed the STC campaign No Child Born to Die and Name a Day campaigns.
These campaigns focused on malnutrition and stunting in regards to the impact it has on children around the world. STC set out to campaign in the UK and through multilateral mechanisms to increase investment in nutrition, secure global targets and encourage David Cameron to call an international summit as part of the UK’s G8 Presidency in 2013.
David Cameron held a summit during the Olympics in 2012. STC’s aim is to ensure that there are viable results from this event. It will follow with a larger campaign in 2013 to coincide with the Hunger Summit (during the UK Presidency of the G8). In support of this, the Nutrition Society has written a letter to the Prime Minister highlighting the need for political action to end malnutrition globally. The Right Honourable Andrew Mitchell MP sent a letter in response, sharing the Nutrition Society's concerns and committing to a continued effort in 2013.
The Society encourages its members to support the Race Against Hunger Campaign by signing the Save the Children petition.
Latest Twitter feed
- RT @CNmagazines: It's that time! Nominate for the 2016 CN Awards and WIN! https://t.co/lwkZ8lwjul #recogniseyourcolleagues https://t.co/f…
- RT @CambridgeJnls: Research from #PublicHealth #Nutrition on support and opposition for #sodatax #sugartax" target="_blank">https://t.co/HXVunPO42Q #sugartax
- RT @PALSAccessto: PALS Accessto Forensic and Analytical Sciences is out! https://t.co/NG2s6SW60T Stories via @SETAC_world @NutritionSoc
- RT @KiuSum: Are you a BSc/MSc/Post Doc #student or #professional in Nutrition/Science/Health? Interested in #Speed #Networking? Contact me …
- RT @RoySocMed: Last chance to book: Roles of sleep & circadian rhythms in origin & nutritional management of obesity @NutritionSoc https://…