Save the Children (STC) is an internationally active, non-governmental organisation that promotes children’s rights, provides relief and helps support children in developing countries. It promotes policy changes in order to ensure the rights of the child, especially in regards to the enforcement of the UN Declaration of the Rights of the Child. Along with its alliance members, it works in 120 countries where it coordinates emergency relief efforts, with the aim of protecting children from war and violence.
Since April 2012 the Nutrition Society and STC have been exploring areas of mutual development and closer cooperation. With permission from the Trustees, the Society endorsed the STC campaign No Child Born to Die and Name a Day campaigns.
These campaigns focused on malnutrition and stunting in regards to the impact it has on children around the world. STC set out to campaign in the UK and through multilateral mechanisms to increase investment in nutrition, secure global targets and encourage David Cameron to call an international summit as part of the UK’s G8 Presidency in 2013.
David Cameron held a summit during the Olympics in 2012. STC’s aim is to ensure that there are viable results from this event. It will follow with a larger campaign in 2013 to coincide with the Hunger Summit (during the UK Presidency of the G8). In support of this, the Nutrition Society has written a letter to the Prime Minister highlighting the need for political action to end malnutrition globally. The Right Honourable Andrew Mitchell MP sent a letter in response, sharing the Nutrition Society's concerns and committing to a continued effort in 2013.
The Society encourages its members to support the Race Against Hunger Campaign by signing the Save the Children petition.
Latest Twitter feed
- RT @AfN_UK_: Looks a v.interesting workshop. We’ve received the CPD application for this & expect it back from the assessors soon https://t…
- New pilot study reports benefit of inositol & folic acid supps for high risk women in preventing neural tube defect https://t.co/mznSUqguBx
- RT @KiuSum: Looking forward to welcome speakers e.g @NS_CEO @NutritionSoc, @ACF_UK, @BathSpaUni & a few alumni to #Careers & #Employability…
- Need help writing your research paper ready for publishing? We can help - https://t.co/aBCQZPfQxB Discounted places until 11 Feb @AfN_UK_
- RT @SPHeREprogramme: Good luck to @UCC scholar @flahertysj speaking at the @NutritionSoc Postgrad Conference this week! https://t.co/ggUNkN…