History Of The Nutrition Society
According to the first volume of Proceedings of the Nutrition Society, published in 1944, it was agreed in 1941 that there was a need to establish a Nutrition Society by the following individuals; J. Barcroft H. Chick J.C Drummond J Hammond L.J Harris F.G. Hopkins H.D Kay C.J Martin E. Mellanby J.B Orr R.A. Peters.
A meeting of workers interested in nutritional problems, convened by Sir John Orr (Chair) was held at the Royal Institution in 1941. It was agreed that the main objective of the new Society should be to provide '...a common meeting place for workers in various fields of nutrition'.
The main function of the Society would be to hold conferences to discuss special themes, particularly of those of importance during the war.
Following the establishment of an interim committee, the first AGM of the Society took place in 1942, where the election of the first Honorary Officers was confirmed:
- Sir John Orr - Chairman
- Dr J Hammond (Vice-Chair)
- Mr A.L Bacharach (Treasurer)
- Dr L.J Harris (Secretary)
- Dr E.M Cruickshank (Assistant Secretary)
For a full history please read 'The history of the Nutrition Society' by Alice M Copping in the Proceedings of the Nutrition Society (vol 37, issue 02 Sept 1978, pp105-139) or read 'Foundation of the Nutrition Society' from Proceedings of the Nutrition Society (vol 1, issue 1-2 Mar 1944, pp1-6) .
Latest Twitter feed
- New paper of the Month: Vitamin E recommendations may be too high for Cystic Fibrosis patients, says new research, http://t.co/BLH0YEn45H
- Would you like to win an ipad? And are an NS member? Complete our survey by 17 July & have your say (survey was sent via email on 24 June)
- Are you coming to our Conference next week? Look forward to meeting you at welcome networking drinks 6.15pm Mon 6 Jul http://t.co/KLWF2jeAW3
- RT @AfN_UK_: Courier is all booked ready to collect stand ready for @NutritionSoc conference next week. If your there swing by and say hi t…
- RT @PALSAccessto: PALS Accessto Forensic and Analytical Sciences is out! http://t.co/x3PPqqwSDz Stories via @NutritionSoc